Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: OH, SNAP! (For Star Wars fans).

  1. #1
    Inactive Member White Line Nightmare's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2004
    Posts
    1,165
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Old Man has finally come to his senses and will release the ORIGINAL theatrical versions of A New Hope, Empire, and Jedi on DVD this Fall.

    Han will shoot first.

    Bespin will look like a game show set.

    The Ewoks will sing "Celebrate the Love (Yub Yub!)."

    Don't believe me?

    Clicky:

    http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/r...s20060503.html

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Chairman Kaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    First dvds I will ever Double dip on and sometime like ten years from now when the dust from Blu v HD has settled I will probably rebuy them again.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Gareee's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2004
    Posts
    729
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hell, I'm sure this was planned all along.

    I couldn't tell you how many star wars re-releases on vhs, laser disc, and dvd there will have been all told, but I'd guess with these new additions, we'd be talking about 15 re-releases at LEAST.

    Of the same friggin movies.

    <font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ May 03, 2006 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Gareee ]</font>

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner TCM Hitchhiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 8th, 2004
    Posts
    9,480
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Excellent, I refuse to watch it any other way

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Mr. Yac's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 1st, 2005
    Posts
    908
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by TCM Hitchhiker:
    Excellent, I refuse to watch it any other way
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">what he said, the changes just made the movie painful for me (and i'm in all honesty not even that big of a star wars fan) especilly episode 3 where they put that little whiny asshole anakin over the origianl actor (i hate that fucking kid [img]mad.gif[/img] ) that and them ruining the ewok song....i love that damn song [img]frown.gif[/img] , real shame is they're going to be able to charge way too much because they're making it a "double disk" and adding the shitty new versions as well....like george needs more fucking money [img]mad.gif[/img]

    <font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ May 04, 2006 05:47 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Yac ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Peter Peeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2004
    Posts
    16,859
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'll probably get these. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

    I only have vhs versons right now, and they're pretty thin.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Chairman Kaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Gareee:
    Hell, I'm sure this was planned all along.

    I couldn't tell you how many star wars re-releases on vhs, laser disc, and dvd there will have been all told, but I'd guess with these new additions, we'd be talking about 15 re-releases at LEAST.

    Of the same friggin movies.

    <font color="#cd6600"><font size="1">[ May 03, 2006 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Gareee ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not even close.
    Consider the trilogy together each time and you have
    1 release for each film individually VHS
    1 THX boxset release
    1 Special Edition Boxset VHS
    1 Laserdisc release
    2 DVD releases (including this announced one)

    Over 25 years of VHS and Dvd you have 6 "versions" of releases not counting CED or Beta releases or differences in releases of widescreen and full screen VHS since they happened simultaneously.

    Note I am also ignoring various Fox edition releases during the 80's. Slight diferences like inclusion of trailers, dialogue changes etc were prevalent but they weren't advertised as such. They were more like book printing additions. If you included all of these you would be well over 15 since Fox released way more versions in that decade then Lucasfilm has since. (I assume Lucas did not tie up rights for home video (which did not exist in 76) when he made his deals with Fox thus why Fox put out an avalanche these vhs copies I guess at some point in the 90's the rights reverted back to him or he purchased them, I would guess before the THX releases in 95, though I do not have any info on this).


    That really isnt alot of Lucasfilm versions floating around out there.

    <font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ May 04, 2006 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Chairman Kaga ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Gareee's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2004
    Posts
    729
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Um, I think you are forgetting the VHS pre stereo version, ($79.95 each), the special reduced priced versions ($59.95 each), the Stereo version ($39.95 each), the *new* THX enhanced version, and the THX specially reduced priced versions ($29.95 each.)

    That not counting at least 2 releases on Laser disc, (Stereo, and later THX), and then the "Special" thx RCA disc release with cleaned up video as well.

    I used to work at a video store back when all these were released, and for 3 or 4 years, it was a quarterly joke on how they were going to enhance star wars, how much lower th eprice would be, and ho many customers would come in complaning about the new versions with cheaper prices.

    I stopped keeping track WAY back in like 85 or so, and I'm sure boxed sets, and other versions have been released as well that I missed.

    If THAT many versions were released before 85 alone, I'm sure a lot more have been released from 85 up till the special edition "new improved" versions.

    I had a freind who "proudly" displayed his star wars movie collection, and he had fully 3 shelves with nothing but VHS releases (and re-releases) of the various versions.

    And on his bottom shelf, he had both laser disc sets as well.

    George is just laffin his way to the bank every other year...

    <font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ May 04, 2006 12:35 AM: Message edited by: Gareee ]</font>

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Chairman Kaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I edited the above. Unless major content changed I was not counting a cheaper release or the multiple Fox releases in the 80's.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Gareee's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2004
    Posts
    729
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would say going from mono to stereo was a content change, and going from stereo to thx was another content change, and the laser discs were first released without special effects enabled, and then released later WITH special effects enabled on multiple discs, and then even LATER released at special lower prices for the holidays.

    The point is, the friggin movies have had more hyped re-releases then any other movie ever done.

    I has the damned "star wars movie" monkey on my back, and bought the damned things over and over several times myself, and finally just threw him off my back when I got the special effects enabled laser disc releases.

    (If I recall, I think I had estimated I'd paid almost $300 PER MOVIE trying to have the *best* version possible.)

    George just keeps screwing with the public, and they keep lapping it up.

    Hell, there are even rumors that the first 3 movies will be totally remade, if the television series skyrockets through the roof.

    Why? Because George thinks he can make them better then even the Special Edition enhanced releases.

    Enough is frickin enough already! Do something else, like the originally intended episodes 7,8 and 9!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •